Sunday, July 8, 2007

Green to Gray

Its really heartening to see green cover getting shred and butchered right in front of my eyes.
Since i broke my leg in Jan' i had not been to my favorite wilderness of GKVK campus at stone throw' distance from my home. This saturday i finally made up my mind after 6mths to go and visit all my favourite paths, trees, vantage points, gardens, green houses and watch tower that i have discovered inside GKVK. I start at 1145 sadly this time and for the first time I had to take my Activa and abandon my faithful bicycle which had taken me all around this forest. To my surprise at the entrance muddy patch of road across the huge gutter was made better for two wheelers. I was delighted as i drove across the huge gardens of sapota, mango, paddy, sun flowers and large green houses. Suddenly I was shattered to see the pond where i always watched the white breasted kingfisher diving into pond for a fish had completely changed. Its now a cemented tank and all the thick green shrubs and pygmy trees surrounding the pond had disappeared. Sadly no more kingfisher this time ( king of good times is gone ).
I drove my way further enjoying all those narrow roads completely covered with shrubs and thorns and I could make out that these paths were not ever touched for months.
All good things come to an end well the first of the ugliness i came across was garbage being dumped in the forest.
I'm not sure what sort of morons would dump garbage in the forest. Never in my past 8 years of my cycling across in GKVK i had seen such an apathy. I drove further across the woods and headed for my favourite haunt the watch tower built of stone at a very good vantage point in the woods. This watch tower gives a 360 degree view of bangalore right from the Nandi hills on the North-East till the hazy spec of ITPL in the far South-East horizon followed by Savandurga on the South-West horizon and the chains of hills around Ghati on the North-West horizon. Its this sight that i keep staring for hours on my binoculars. Not to mention the beautiful view of the prominent buildings like the CPRI, IISc, Aranya Bhavan, MSRIT, ISKON, Utiliy buliding and the UB City dot the horizon. Above all is the thick cover of forest of GKVK right in front of me around the watch tower.
But this time around the view was different it was all obscured by the four huge construction cranes that were installed right in front me. These were part of a huge apartment complexes that are being built just few meters in front of the watch tower. It was a sad state of affairs. All the green forest that i had been seeing for the past 8 years all washed out in few months. Huge trucks and bull dozers working their way into the woods and deep into the earth spewing out dust the fresh cool virgin breeze is now choking with dust. i couldn't hardly stand there for a while. I drove down from the watch tower of the vantage point in the direction of the construction, more had news was awaiting. Once where the forest stood where no sunlight could enter in the noon i was welcomed by open patches of dead and dry tree trunks and leaves and completely open skies. The whole section of this forest was completely shred and ready to be served for trucks & bull dozres for building more apartment complexes.
I have no clue how far will we go to feed ourself from this greed for our needs. I appeal the respective authorities to take necessary steps to halt such activities happening inside GKVK.
I will never-ever come back to GKVK once again, i cannot see the green cover getting transformed into concrete jungle.

No comments: